National Indigenous Peoples Day
Sunday, June 18, 2023
11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Join us for National Indigenous Peoples Day at the Museum.
Snuneymuxw First Nation will share a wide variety of information/skills:
- Geraldine Manson will do a Welcome prayer and talk about the importance of the land, culture and knowledge of SFN and the ancestors
- As well, Geraldine will be sharing about Petroglyphs in the ancestral village
- Stephanie Thomas and Chenoa Point will be showing some weaving with wool
- Violet and Joe Elliott will work with cedar
- Louella White will do face painting;
- Lorna Johnny and Roberta Martin will make delicious fried bread
Funded by the Government of Canada
Gabriola Island Pandemic Stories
The project has created a free Gabriola Island Pandemic Stories commemorative booklet that each Gabriola household has received in their mailbox. The project also includes a companion website with video interviews, archived Gabriola Sounder articles, and a museum exhibit. The website can be viewed at: gabriolapandemicstories.ca.
BC Museum Portraits Project: Gabriola Historical and Museum Society
Last fall, the BC Museums Association interviewed Joan, Board members, former Board members, and Laura as part of their BC Museums Portrait Project. Have a listen…it is really well done and everyone spoke so well and with passion about the museum.